03 April 2007

You Like Me! You Really Like Me!

Since this is the week before Easter, a number of students have chosen to extend their break a bit. This afternoon, in a class that should have 9 students, 3 showed up.

It's a writing class, but it often becomes a conversation class, since there's only so much you can teach someone about writing. I ran out of stuff a couple of months ago, but we can always discuss a controversial topic & try to come up with arguments that could be used in an essay about it, then they write the essay at home.

Today, I brought in a short article about the chocolate Jesus sculpture, so we read it & chatted about why it's so controversial. After about 45 minutes, I gave the students the option to go home early, or to keep chatting for a while longer. And they chose to stay and chat!

They asked about my Peace Corps experience, and my impressions of Poland, and just generally seemed interested in my life. I guess it's normal to have an interest in someone who chooses to live in a country that so many people are choosing to leave, but it was a little surprising to me. I certainly never had any interest in my teachers' lives outside of school.

So it was a nice way to end my day, realizing that my students just may like me a little.

5 comments:

hanna said...

You are quite a likeable person,you know ;-)

Anonymous said...

^
You said what I was going to tell her , too. I have never met you but reading your journal makes me say I like the persona you created. But hey! "persona" used to mean "mask" in ancient greek language. Oh well, I am sure you are likeable and lovable in real life.
Your part time reader.

Anonymous said...

would you rather that students didn't ask any questions about your personal / out-of-uni life?

Lisaopolis said...

Of COURSE they like you, what do you expect? My studnets got me side-tracked talking about rap music today (?!) and so I just broke it down, saying I liked OLD SCHOOL. Hey, now that everyone calls me "Ma'am", I might as well not try and NOT date myself anymore with indexing my musical prefs. Class of '89 woo hoo!
Are you going to be 'home' any time this summer?

The Wendy Lady said...

I truly wasn't fishing, but thanks for the ego boost! It's not so much that I don't want them to ask about my personal life, I just find it odd that they're interested. But I'm happy to tell them about me if they want to know.