08 December 2006

Contemplating a Splurge

Once in a while, you just have to treat yourself. (And by 'you' and 'yourself,' I mean me.) Normally, this isn't a problem. I often buy myself some fancy chocolates, or a glossy magazine with a free DVD included. (Who am I kidding, I barely even glance at the magazine, it's all about the movie.) I'm even on the verge of dropping 100-something zlotys for a set of DVDs I've been eyeing for months. I did feel the need to justify that one, but that's easy now, since my parents just deposited my Christmas present into my bank account - thanks, Mom & Dad!

No, this is a little different. Ever since I first came to Poland, I've been a little bummed about certain things I can't get here. These are mainly food items, like Reese's peanut butter cups, Oreos, Kraft mac & cheese, and ginger ale. When I'm in the US, and have these items readily available, I don't even buy them that often. It's just the idea of them being unavailable that makes me want them more. When some kind-hearted soul takes it upon themself to send me one of the above-mentioned items, I hoard it like I'm stranded in the desert & it's my only food for a month.

(Stick with me, I'm finally getting to the point.)

Last week, I was at my neighborhood grocery store, perusing the drinks aisle, and there it was. Schweppe's ginger ale! For 7 zloty and change per liter!

OK, if you have dollars, this is about $2.50 a bottle. I have zloty. This would be like spending $7 on a liter of soda. It's rather pricey.

And yet, I think I'm going to buy some. Just because I got paid early this month, and I want to. I'll probably get a glossy magazine to not read while I'm drinking it. And maybe even some of those fancy chocolates.

Because once in a while, you just have to splurge.

2 comments:

Aaron Fowles said...

If you live in Poland, splurges are totally necessary. As for things not being available, guess what they don't have in Korea. (Hint: the answer is deodorant)

Lately, all of my splurges have been sports-related. The foreigners all get together and play sports on the weekend here. A bit different that what we did back in Poznan....guzzle guzzle guzzle.

Basia said...

Oh... I totally feel you on the Ginger Ale craving... I was the same way there..even though I rarely drink it here in the USA..
when I was over in Poland I would suddenly get a craving for Ginger Ale... Do it Wendy.. just becuase you can. :)