15 September 2006

Random Acts of Kindness

I tried to turn in my thesis today. But my prof pointed out a few problems with the title page, the table of contents and the references. And a typo, to go along with one I had already found.

Off I went to the copy place where I originally had it bound, armed with my basic knowledge of how to ask if it was possible to change some pages without having to redo the whole binding. To my delighted surprise, it was!

So the guy took off the covers, I replaced the bad pages with new, good pages, and he put the covers back on. While all this was going on, the guy who had bound them for me a couple days ago noticed what was going on & asked me what the problem was. I explained that I had made some mistakes, and he went off to make copies for other customers. But when it came time for me to pay, the first guy told today's guy to only charge me 6 zloty, instead of the 21 it should have been.

I don't know what I did to get the discount, but it was a very nice surprise in an otherwise hectic day. And I can now turn the damn thing in for real tomorrow, right before I get on a train to Berlin, to catch a plane to Munich.

Here's hoping you receive a pleasant surprise today.

3 comments:

Aajan said...

Can Imagine how one feels after submitting something like a thesis and rushing out ... to joing a small crowd of 5 million for a 'small' beer!
Have a GREAT time in Muenchen. You'll enjoy it, I bet! (dont miss the beergarten in the English Garden)..

Good that you mention the 'pleasant surprises' aka sweet nothings in your life. They are rareties these days. They need to be mentioned and highlited, wherever possible.

Good luck!

Lisaopolis said...

OMG Wendles, you TOTALLY have to re-create Grins 'n Growlies '88 Hofbrauhaus action, complete with attempts to lift 1-liter mugs....have a GREAT time, Munich is such a faboo place to be...ok, for me, it's back to the salt mines...tootles!

Jeremy & Katy said...

Hello. Love your blog!

We are travelling to Warsaw in December and I was wondering if you had a 'must see' list for us. We going to be there for 4 days and 3 nights!