07 August 2006

Polish Health Care

So I had a routine doctor's appointment today. (Stop worrying Dad, I'm not sick) I had two options.

One: I can go to a public clinic, sit in the hall for 4 hours, and eventually get to see a doctor who may or may not (want to) speak English, all for free because I now work for a public university.

Two: I can go to a private clinic where the doctor will definitely speak English, there will be a minimum of waiting, and I get to pay for it.

I chose two. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford to go to the private clinic, which cost me, including the exam, lab test and prescription, about $60. And that's a year's worth of the prescription.

A lot of people in this country can't afford that. They have to wait the 4 hours, or more, to see the free doctor, who will probably spend about 10 minutes with each patient.

And the doctors, so I hear, are rather poorly paid. Which is why so many of them have started moving to other countries after they complete their (free) education here in Poland.

What's my point? I have no idea. I just have a hunch there must be a better way.

3 comments:

maybe it is me said...

uuu yeah as a polish poor student always have to wait more or less 4 hours for doctor and survive here (hehe) but what cant kill us makes us stronger
so i also will have to go to work in different country because I like comfortable life and I believe that something will change because already is better then 10 years ago

that is way i am writing on your blog in english because practice makes perfect ;-)

kisses ( for people who have to wait for doctor and still fell that doctor doesn't care about your health )

maggie

A Man said...

I agree with you, if you can afford the less stressful option and it means you get to speak English so that you are sure you understand everything, then I always go with that option. If there is one thing you don't want to have to worry about getting messed up in translation it is medical information!

Anonymous said...

Well, yes, paying doctors poorly is sheer stupidity in a competitive world, when they can vote with their legs. However, after being an expat for a good number of years (mostly in the USA and Western Europe:Germany, Sweden, but occassionally also in Asia, Central America and even Africa) I came to a conclusion that overpaying medical professionals the way it is done in the US is sheer stupidity, too.
It is one of the factors of making healt care unaffordable here and the number of uninsured now at about 45 million! And the USA is supposed to be a "developed" country.