21 July 2006

It's the Little Differences

At the risk of sounding like Vincent Vega, there are a couple of things I've noticed lately, things that made me think, "Hmmm, that probably wouldn't happen in the US." Since I rarely even notice the differences between Poland and the US anymore, I thought I'd share these.

The first, sadly, was while I was standing in line at McDonald's. I generally avoid it, but every so often I get a craving for a McRoyal (yes, they really do call it that - you know, the metric system). So there I was, perusing the menu, and I notice a new item - deep fried broccoli with cream sauce. Please tell me they're not offering this worldwide. I don't know why, but I'm really hoping it's one of those only-in-Europe things.

And the second item, offered up for your consideration: I went to see the new Pirates movie tonight - which I LOVED - and we were a little late, which was ok because we figured we'd just miss the 15 minutes of ads that play before the previews. But no, what we actually missed was the first half of the lingerie fashion show. Yes, you read that correctly, but I'll wait while you read it again...

OK, ready to continue? Half a dozen half-naked women stalking across the stage while photos of other half-naked women were shown on the screen. I'm still trying to figure out the relevance to the Pirates movie, or anything else for that matter, other than the fact that it was really hot out today, so maybe they were just trying to cool down by wearing less clothing? Again, I sincerely hope this isn't happening in cinemas all over the globe.

So those are the little differences that caught my attention recently. Now please excuse me while I go back to melting in the heat (it's midnight & it's still 25 degrees).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendy - I stumbled on to your blog while I should be working. but I'm so glad i did! I'm the RPCV who lived in Kleczew the two years before you did. Zbyszek called me a few weeks ago. I understand there is a supermarket in Kleczew now. I can't even imagine.
Good luck with your work and studies in Poznan. I fell in love with that city too. One of my former students is finishing up her PhD in English there...Ela Adamczyk. Best of luck! Laura

maybe it is me said...

hehe I am living in Poland 21 yeras but that funny situation in cinema also makes me laugh
hehe.......


kisses

maggie

The Wendy Lady said...

Welcome Laura! This has been the month of people from the past stumbling on my blog, it's starting to get a little weird! But I'm happy to hear from you!

I drove through Kleczew about 3 years ago, it was a little more developed, but still not someplace I'd want to spend 2 years of my life. Oh wait, I already did!